Friday, September 10, 2010

Une Seul Idul Fitri à Seoul

Bonjour, mes cheres! How was your Idul Fitri day? I hope you had a blast. I woke up early, checked out of Hoam Faculty House and headed for the Indonesian Embassy at Yoido. I planned to take a subway, but it was raining very hard. So I took a cab. Despite having limited Korean vocabulary, I managed to get to the embassy before the prayer began. 


The embassy was already crowded and the women's area was on the third and fourth floor. Whoa! There was no speaker and we could not hear anything from downstairs. So a woman called her husband and set the cellphone to speakerphone mode. Wow, how resourceful.

The prayer began at 09.00 a.m. and ended 15 minutes later. There were Indonesian foods for everyone, but I had to attend the reception at LG Twin Tower. So I hailed another cab and off I went.

After the meeting, we had a tour to LG Science Hall. It was designed for children between 7 and 9 years old, but hey we had just celebrated our eighth birthday, right? (Yeah, 23 years ago *rolling eyes*). We saw a 3D movie, watched a sketching machine at work and tried other features. It was fun.

The two uniquely-dressed people in the middle are from the science hall.

Dancing dog robots

 The sketching machine at work

We had a quick lunch and then we hopped in our bus, heading for Gyeongju city. The trip to Gyeongju took 5 hours, so I slept. And here I am, typing this post from the tenth floor of Hotel Hyundai. The view from my room is great!


The normal Idul Fitri I would have in Indonesia include praying at a mosque, visiting the elderly or neighbors as well as eating a lot of food. Today was definitely not a typical Idul Fitri day. For me, it was a lonely Idul Fitri, for I have yet to hear anyone saying "Eid Mubarak" to me, but this Idul Fitri would definitely be one of the most memorable day in my life.

Selamat hari raya Idul Fitri. Mohon maaf lahir batin.

2 comments:

  1. Eid Mubarok, Tifa... hope u still have a joyous Eid although you're not having your family to celebrate the holiday with. Well, at least, you'll still have some fun there while I'm gonna have to go back to work today. Oh, joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eid mubarak too! It was fun to be here, met new people, had funny experiences, but Idul Fitri really is a day to be with the ones you love. Oh well, I guess we have to count our blessings:)

    ReplyDelete