Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bowling For Bagel

A faithful reader to the New York Times website, I often come across the word "bagel" in the Metropolitan Diary column. It's a New Yorker's breakfast menu, and they can have it "nothing with everything" or "everything with nothing". Now, did I hear you say,"huh?" Don't worry. I have the same reaction when I first read about this bread product.

Last week, I went to Kemang, South Jakarta and found a bagel shop! The shop manager explained that they have 10 bagel flavors: plain, sesame seed, poppy seed, onion, cinnamon raisin, cheese, whole wheat, chocolate chip, cranberry and everything. You can enjoy a bagel simply as it is, or with cream cheese or with sandwich style. 

So "nothing with everything" should mean a plain bagel with various fillings, while "everything with nothing" should be an everything-flavored bagel without any filling. Hohoho.

The shop is located on Jl. Benda No. 10, Kemang

One bagel is priced at Rp 10,000, but a sandwich-style bagel is priced between Rp 40,000 and Rp 55,000. Ouch. A bagel looks just like a donut, since it also has a hole in the middle, but in terms of texture, a bagel is more chewy compared to the donut.

Guys, meet Banana Caramel Sauce, Lox and Philly Cheese Steak.

We had a photo session with the bagels.

I have yet to know when I can land my feet on New York, well at least now I can have a New York-style breakfast:).

No comments:

Post a Comment