Monday, March 5, 2012

It's Where Jazz Finds A Home

I've heard the buzz about Java Jazz Festival in the past 8 years, but this year was the first time I ever set foot inside the jazz ground. Perhaps I would not go had I not get the free tickets from the marketing manager (thanks Ibu Yulia!).

Last Friday, I was typing (as usual!) on my desk, when she walked by and said,"Why are you guys still here? Go and watch Java Jazz Festival! Here, I have the tickets for you." It was around 3 p.m., the festival would start at 4 p.m., and I still had to work until 6 p.m.

I completed my work as fast as I could, asked another ticket for Ira_dany and left the office at 6.30 p.m. We met at Benhil, got on a taxi, arrived at JIExpo at around 8 p.m. and saw a lot of people queueing for entry. It was such a long queue that we only made it inside around 9.35 p.m. Ack!

People with invitation (or free) tickets should pass the K gate. The letter K probably stands for 'Kebahagiaan' (Happiness) Hahaha.

Inside JIExpo

Taken from the 6th floor of JIExpo

The crowd

So did we have fun? You bet we did! While we couldn't get to watch The Manhattan Transfer (too crowded) and Depapepe (we're still stuck in the queue), we watched local jazz stars Indra Lesmana LLW and Andien and managed to have a seat to catch Ron King Big Band. They're amazing! :)


I like the music and the experience Java Jazz Festival offers, but I prefer going to one-artist performance held by the cultural centers. In fact tonight Erasmus Huis Jakarta will feature Triba, one of the Java Jazz Festival performers that hails from the Netherlands. I'd probably go because I didn't watch them the other day. 

P.S. By the way, the drummer performing with Indra Lesmana is quite a hottie (ahem!). Ladies, let me introduce you to the talented Sandy Winarta.

Photo source: here

1 comment: