Thursday, March 8, 2012

Fondant Chocolate Cake

Fondant Chocolate Cake

Last month, I met a cute and friendly French chef in town. His name is Florian Lamelot, and he's from southern France. Hmm, why does anything/anyone coming from the South seem to be more friendly? 

Anyway, he served fondant au chocolat and I was in love (both with him and the cake, because the best way to win a woman's heart is through her stomach, hahaha). Getting such decadent dessert from a man ignites my competitive spirit. I mean, if a man can do it, so can I. (Yes, at some points I can be a bit of feminist :P)

So I looked up the Internet to find the recipe. Lo and behold, I found Chef Gordon Ramsay's Fondant Chocolate recipe. It's very easy to follow. Thanks Chef Gordon!

The ingredients (I only use a quarter of the original recipe, click the link above to see the original one):
50 grams of flour
50 grams of butter
50 grams of dark chocolate
50 grams of caster sugar
one egg
one egg yolk

How to make:

Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl on a pan of boiling water. Mix well. Let it cool in room temperature.

Mix egg and egg yolk with caster sugar. I used block-shaped caster sugar (Ind. gula jawa balok). Big mistake. I had to crush the sugar block with mortar and pestle, then things started to look easy. 

Sift flour into the batter. Mix well.

Put the melted chocolate in thirds. Mix well between addition.

Don't forget to brush the moulds with melted butter (or in my case, I use margarine. It's just for the tin moulds anyway), freeze them for a few minutes, brush another layer of melted butter and dust them with cocoa powder before you pour in the batter. Then they are ready to be baked! But first, let's get them chilled. Put them in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes. I froze them for two days (the batter can last until one month).

The chocolate magma. YUM!

Dear chef, thank you for introducing me to the most delicious dessert. Now I can make them myself. With love, a chocolate high girl.

P.S. M loved the cake so much she said I should open a cake shop. Hahaha. Hmm, but actually it's a good idea:).

No comments:

Post a Comment