Monday, June 14, 2010

I Wish I Could Buy DVDs of These J-Dorama

I'm having the nostalgic mood lately, especially since B-Channel is airing the film series of my childhood, such as The Cosby Show, Growing Pains and Full House. But the series I've been wanting to watch again is the Japanese drama (J-dorama). 


Photo taken from here

The first J-dorama I watched was, of course, Oshin. It was aired on state-owned television TVRI during the 1980s, depicting the life of hardworking woman during the WW II era. The  movie runs back and forth in the woman's life, causing a six-year-old girl left confused  with the story plot. It was re-run recently, and M went ecstatic.

Japanese dorama made a comeback to Indonesia’s orbit in 1994, when Indosiar aired Tokyo Love Story (Tokyo rabu sutori), starred by Suzuki Honami and Oda Yuji. I had to admit, I was shocked to see the movie’s portrayal of modern Tokyo people (Previously, I had always thought that I could only find love-making scenes in Hollywood movies). 


Photo found here

More J-dorama came in after that, such as Ordinary People (Asunaro hakusho) and 101 Proposals (101 kaime no puropozu). I remembered rushing home from school to see Ordinary People as it was played at 6 p.m. and I had afternoon classes (I would reach home at 6.15 p.m).

At that time, my uncle and his family had just returned from Australia and they
stayed at my house. Upon seeing me trying to catch my breath, my auntie would say: “Don’t worry, no significant development so far.” And she would tell me about the story plot. That’s what families are for
:).
  

Not only do I like the story, I also love the original soundtracks. As I typed this post, I was listening to Fuji Fumiya’s True Love. Here it is, hope you like it.


But the J-dorama I truly, madly, deeply love is Kamisama (Kamisama mou sukoshi dake/God, please give me more time). It was played during my college years, perhaps in 2003 (bless my poor memory).


Source here
 
It tells a touching love story about teenage girl Kano Masaki (Kyoko Fukada) who contacted HIV after selling her body in order to earn money for the concert of a famous composer Ishikawa Keigo, played by Takeshi Taneshiro. (Now you know why I love Takeshi). 

Back to the dorama. After the concert, Keigo saw Masaki chasing after his van. She was drenched, and thus Keigo took her to his apartment, where they spent the night. Masaki tells Keigo that she has HIV and asks him to check whether he’s also infected. Well, he’s not (thank you, scriptwriter).

Keigo is a real gentleman. He fully supports Masaki when he learns the truth. He even marries her. IMHO, Kamisama is made to educate people on how HIV infected others and stop discrimination on people with HIV.

The commonly found scenes in J-dorama movies are scenes taken in train station, apartment or bridge. As a result, I once wanted to live in a low-cost apartment next to Pondok Kopi train station.

No comments:

Post a Comment