Friday, May 6, 2011

It's Either Fashion Or Book

Karl Lagerfeld's library. Source: The Selby

While gathering data to write for this article, I stumbled upon this page about the world's languages, the number of speakers and the number of Wikipedia articles in those languages. Then I spotted something...

Banyumasan language is included in the list! Acehnese and Buginese also made it to the list. There are so many languages here. And now, most people use Bahasa (with a local accent:P).

Talking about language, I should do something to put my rusty French into practice. The Printemps Francaise festival can be the right event to do it. It starts this weekend! Check the schedule for your favorite event. This weekend will see the opening of Dysfashional, an exhibition on fashion.

Or you can go to the World Book Day events held in Museum Bank Mandiri in the Old Town. This weekend has no particular schedule for competition or workshop, but you can see the exhibition on book illustration. Check the schedule here.

I'll probably go to one of those events, or may be curling in bed and finish Tash Aw's The Harmony Silk Factory. It's the fifth book I read this year. So far I've completed Leo Tolstoy's War And Peace (finally!), Naguib Mahfouz's Palace of Desire, a book on Kartini's letters and Patrick Suskind's Perfume. Those are not newly-released books, but I plan to read as much books I can this year.

Have a fashionable or bookish weekend:)

Update: Since Jakarta will be the host for ASEAN Summit during May 7-8, traffic on Jl. Jendral Sudirman and Jl. Gatot Subroto will be closed (I read it in the Twitter account of @DiKotaKita). I believe the road closure will lead to heavy congestion across the city because they are two of the main roads. So I guess, curling in bed and reading the book will be a much better choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment