Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Carrot Cake Episode: The Baked Cake Vs No-Bake

I made these cakes earlier this month, but only had the time to post now. I stumbled upon a carrot cake recipe in an old edition of InStyle magazine, but the instruction was not clear. Then I googled it up and found not only carrot cake recipes, but a no-bake carrot cake recipe! I told M about it and she agreed to give it a try.

We made this no-bake carrot cake on the first day of January. It was like making a mud cake, we basically mixed all ingredients.  If you'd like to try, below are the ingredients and the how-to.

I  found the original recipe in this lovely blog, but I make do with ingredients I find here.

The ingredients for half-recipe
 3 cups of carrots (grated)
2 cups of peanuts (I used kacang tanah)
1 teaspoon of nutmeg (Ind. pala - Ed)
1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder
1 cup of dates, pitted
1/2 cup of orange juice
1/2 teaspoon of orange zest (I use grater since I don't have an orange peeler)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of desiccated coconut (since I can't find this, I fried the grated coconut without oil or in Indonesia we call it sangrai - Ed.)

I don't make the frosting :(.

The tools: from mortar and pestle to blender

How to make:
1. Put carrot, kacang tanah, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and coconut in one bowl
2. Mix orange juice with dates, until smooth. Add to bowl and mix well.
3. Then form it into the shape you desire. I use molds for jelly

The no-bake carrot cake

Verdict: it is good, but perhaps we are not ready to go vegan and consume the no-bake cake on a daily basis. At least for now.

After having a taste of no-bake carrot cake, it is only natural that we want to know how the baked one will turn out. So we made the baked version a week later.

Here are the ingredients (also half-recipe):

50 gram of walnut (I use kenari that I bought during my trip to Maluku)
170 gram of carrot
130 gram of flour
25 gram of chocolate powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt
3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
3/4 tablespoon of cinnamon powder
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of vegetable oil

Here's how I made it:
Mix eggs with vegetable oil

Put flour, chocolate powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon powder into the mix. Stir well. Then put carrot and nuts last.

Bake for 30 minutes. Et voila: the baked carrot cake! The appearance looks awful but it actually tastes nice.

Verdict: M likes the baked version better. Since she's a picky eater, I know that it will be a long way to turn her into a vegan *sigh*

What's your favorite cake? Have you ever tried to make a no-bake cake? Send the recipe to me if you like for I want to learn more about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment