Monday, July 5, 2010

Either The Elevator Is Jinxed...

Found here

...or the universe loves making fun of me, but I always meet him, of all places, in the office elevator. He is  one of those top-level persons, let's just call him GP (It'll take more than three paragraphs to explain this, so let's just embrace the fact that heretofore we'll call him GP). He would wear that ugly black suit, put on the eyeglasses whose frame matches with the color of his shirt and give me that look. 

The look that shoots straight to my eyes, as if probing for something he could not quite grasp. It would only last for about three second or so, but the look never fails to give me a shiver. I don't feel comfortable with the look, but being the stubborn girl that I am, I usually look back straight to the black pupil in his dark brown iris.

Fortunately (or is it unfortunately?), I always leave the office with other co-worker, like Peeyutz, Lln and Mtq. Most of the times, it was Peeyutz who stood by me whenever we encountered GP. So the tension is lower than when it's just the two of us. 

Sometimes he remains silent (and so do Peeyutz and I!), so we would spend the elevator ride in complete silence. However, there are other times when he suddenly says something. Some of the things that I wish he would keep to himself.

"You still wear that headscarf? Why?" was one of his most memorable remarks.
"How have you fared?" was the most difficult one to answer, especially in such a short time.

Sometimes he did not wait the answer and leave me in the elevator as soon as the doors slide open. Other times he just blurted out his feelings.

"People feel uncomfortable having me around," he once said.
"I wonder why they get that feeling," I replied politely, although that was a complete lie.

"Gotta meet someone tonight," he said, smiling mischievously.
"Ok," I said, rolling eyes.

"My wife is hospitalized," he said.
"Oh my God, so sorry to hear that. Is she OK? Are you OK?" I asked.
"Yeah, everything's allright," he said, putting on his ignorant mask again.

Recently I took the stairs. But last week, the stairs area was re-painted and I could not stand the odor. For the time being, I stay close to Peeyutz and other colleagues and glance to his room before making way to the elevator.

No comments:

Post a Comment