Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Friday Morning In Pasar Gedhe Solo

Pasar Gedhe means big market. And it is big indeed. Standing on a 6,971 square meter land, the 5,800 square meter market houses 108 stalls. According to a recent data, there are 741 stall vendors and 240 non-stall vendors who work in the market. My friend Aneen and her mother, Tante Ing, run a stall in the second floor, and I was very lucky to experience a day in the market with them. 

I respect people who work hard, regardless of their professions. In a market, you meet such people. That encounter will make you appreciate the little things you have. Aneen, I take my hat (not my hijab, though) off for you.


If you're a regular reader of this blog, I'm sure you still remember Aneen from my Lombok holiday post in the first photo. The second photo is of Tante Ing, Aneen's mom. We peeled prawns together. If you're not used to it, peeling prawn needs total concentration. I like it though, I find it a meditation-like activity. It looks easy, but it hurts my fingers.

 Can you guess what I have on my palm on the last photo?:)

No comments:

Post a Comment