Found here
I find life often offers funny jokes. For example, I went to Austria fifteen years ago, but I saw the Austrian folk dance last week during Solo International Performing Arts's opening night. That really brought back memories of the 1995 summer.
Several places I visited during my two-week sojourn were:
- Kahlenberg, the highest point in Vienna that offers a view to the entire city.
- Stephansplatz, a square at the heart of Vienna, with church Stephansdom. I went inside the church too.
- Ringstrasse. If you walk inside this area, you'll find buildings that dated back before the 1870s. Kunsthistoriche Museum and Naturhistoriche Museum, Rathaus, Heldenplatz, Parliament, Staatsoper are among the buildings you can find in the Ring.
- The parks: Stadtpark, Burgpark, Turkenshanspark, Wahringerpark. It's interesting to see the Vienneses take morning strolls with their dogs or do exercise just before they go to work. In several parks, there are statues of famous Austrians, such as Strauss and Mozart.
- Schwedenplatz. If you visit Vienna in the summer, then Schwedenplatz is a must as it has an Italian ice cream parlor that only opens during the season. Fifteen years ago, I only paid 16 Austrian schilling (1 schilling was Rp 250). My favorite flavor is stracciatella:)
- Grinzinger Hauermandl, a traditional restaurant. The food (well, I only ate schnitzel and other non-pork food) was good, the ambiance was great.
- Donau, or Danube. A boatride is a must! But beware with naked people who jumped from their boats into the river. Argh, my eyes!
- Hundertwasserhaus, an apartment house designed by Austrian artist Hundertwasser. It has undulating floor, earth-grass covered roof and a tree is growing inside the house.
- Mauthausen concentration camp. Not a wonderful place to visit, but it is a good place to learn history.
- Seegrotte, an underground lake. I was there when the tour information was given in German. They refused to give explanation in English. Since I only knew basic Deutsch, I had no idea what this place was about. I only know that one of The Three Musketeer's scenes (the Hollywood version) was shot here, and that it once served as a concentration camp.
- Vienna International City. It's one of United Nations headquarters. Go visit it if you had the chance.
- For the shopaholic, I recommend Shopping City Sud and Mariahilfer Strasse.
- Miss reading English books amidst the German-speaking people? Head to The British Bookshop at Weihburggasse.
Ah, how I miss you, Vienna...
No comments:
Post a Comment