Friday, April 3, 2015

On Baring Things In Blogs And A New Job

I met with an old friend recently and she told me that most people thought she had a happy easy life/marriage as she often posted photos of her family in a mainstream social media. She finally decided to use a smaller social media to post personal photos.

"Things are not always easy. I've struggled for my marriage, for my job, for my kids. But I don't have to put on a sad face and tell the whole world about it," she said.

It's exactly what I think. I've always been writing the good and fun side of life, keeping any bad news from the light of day. I know most of my blog readers in real life and I think that if they know my daily life troubles, they would think over and shoulder the troubles too.

Other friends remarked how I seemed to be having no problems, for example I could switch profession and find new job. I didn't understand how they got the idea. Any job transition was definitely not an easy feat.

Perhaps it's time to shed some layers. To tell you the truth, I've been jobless since Jan. 1, 2015. My contract ended by the end of the year. It should be extended for another year, but the office was switching to state budget system and therefore, my colleagues and I should undergo the obnoxious e-procurement held by the state.

I was jobless and salaryless between January and March. Despite being unemployed, the boss demanded me to come and did some work. I got a kind of payment to cover transportation, but it was not enough, of course.

Amidst the job uncertainty, I also heard rumors about the boss trying to sabotage my e-procurement result. That was weird, considering that it was the same boss who asked me to come to office. I did have some issues with the boss back then, but I had finished everything she asked and all was well, or at least it was well on my side, she always has grudges on everybody. However, I decided not to confront the issue to her and looked for another job opening elsewhere.

Long story short, I decided to leave, because I found the e-procurement process too exhausting. I took part in the e-procurement process three times, twice failed and the last one I made it, but I decided to leave anyway. And guess what, a job offer came at the right moment! Alhamdulillah.

My new job is still in the line of communications and non profit organization. This time, it's a project on improving the quality of basic education in Indonesia. I'll be handling data and support communications for seven provinces (Aceh, North Sumatera, Banten, West Java, Central Java, East Java and South Sulawesi). It's all new and exciting.

So perhaps I did get lucky. But it doesn't mean I never had bad times in my life. Things are not always great. Life is not always all about the cherries on top of the cake.There are good days and bad days, ups and downs, below the all-smile photos we uploaded to social media.

Here it is, one layer behind the happy posts I posted. Perhaps, I'll be shedding some more layers when I feel  the time is right, one baby step at a time.

P.S. When blogging, do you share both the good and the bad news?

2 comments:

  1. Aah kutip, sometimes i wrote bad things in my blogs, it also remains me thats life is about. Sometimes i have my down moment too. But we must always grateful right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't read your blogs, Fika. So I don't know :) Yes, we should always be grateful

    ReplyDelete