Monday, August 26, 2013

A Change Of Career

Hello, my lovelies! I'm writing this post from the sixth floor of my new office. Wait, did I just write "new office"? Yes, I have a new job, alhamdulillah :).

After working in journalism for 9.5 years, I finally tendered my resignation at the end of last July. I got a job offer in an office that has regular work hours (I can now have days off on Saturdays and Sundays, just like normal people. Yes, I was not normal back then) and after many sleepless nights to think it over, I said "yes, I do" and signed the contract.

The new office is not a media company, it's actually part of a ministry (couldn't tell much for now), but my position still allows me to be connected with the journalists. I'm excited!

The regular work hour will definitely be a novel idea for I've become so used to leaving home at 8:30 a.m. and coming home at 9 or 10 p.m. It will take some adjustment but I have so many plans in my head. I want to take Russian course in the evening, just after the work hour. I want to spend the weekend baking cakes with M. I want to take as many weekend trips with the backpacker community friends. Since my new office is located right next to Setiabudi One, which has a gym, I also have a plan to take a gym membership and check out the guys live a healthy life. Ahem.

On the other hand, it was a bittersweet farewell with the world that I like, the world that has become part of my 20s. But I realize that now I'm in my 30s, I should take a step back, evaluate and plan for my future endeavor. I have to move on.

Someone asked me if I was happy to leave and if I hated the office. I said yes, I was happy to leave, but I didn't hate the office. How could I hate a workplace that had given me so much experiences, opportunities and good memories? There were times when the office became an awful place to stay, but I didn't leave the office back then. I stayed to prove to myself that I could do it. However, there is a line between proving myself and being a martyr. I can't become a martyr for the rest of my life. And so I choose another path. It's not to say that I give up, but it's to see if I can do other things outside of journalism and to use the skills I have gained in another field.

Another friend asked if the pay was good (the real question was,"So you get the double digit salary in the new office?" Double digit salary means >/=Rp 10 millions) and I just had to laugh. I've worked in several companies that offered different salaries and benefits, but for me, the best workplace I had worked at was actually a small company that gave the smallest salary. But since it was a small company, office politic was barely there and everyone got along peacefully. Nothing beats the power of peace of mind. And peace of mind is something I need at the moment.

He also asked if I was certain to leave the comfort zone, with all the allowances and other benefits from the last office. I said, I was not certain at all, nothing was ever certain in this life. But if there is something I've learned in the last decade, then it would be "be faithful to yourself, not the company".

Anyway, despite the career change, the love for the written words and journalism is still within me. So don't you worry, my dear friends and readers, I will continue to post here:). Here's to a great start of the career change and future word-loaded posts. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment