Thursday, February 14, 2013

Work Hours

Hi lovelies, what's your work hour like?  Before working in this new division, I used to have a very flexible work hour, meaning that I can start the day as early as 5 a.m. and finish at 10 p.m. In the past, I sometimes had to work on weekends or national holidays and then make the days later. Seriously.

Now that I work in this non-hardnews division, I have 8-hour work days, which is an ultimate blessing if you ever work as a journo. There are nine people in the division: BEE, me, Fith, SW, Png, Lfr (the new girl who replaced Fem), WW and NI (both work for the teenager magazine, which is also placed under the division) and Budbut, the graphic designer and layouter.

Unless we have an appointment, most of us reach the office at 10 a.m., but Budbut only turns on his computer after 2 p.m. Inline with the 8-hour rule, we should leave at 6 p.m. But in reality, we could linger until 7 p.m. or 8 p.m.

The following are some conversations we use to have about the work hour:
#1. Leaving The Office Early Causes Social Jealousy
Situation: It's 8 p.m. and we're still on our desk for various reasons, either writing a last-minute work or avoiding the post-rain horrendous traffic jam.
Budbut: I'm going home now. See you tomorrow.
Me : What?! This is unbelievable. You only came at 2 p.m.
Budbut: I've finished most of my works at home and only come here to submit them.
Fith: You can actually leave without bidding farewell. You do it on purpose *narrowing her eyes*
Budbut: Of course *evil grins*

Situation: It's 3 p.m. and Budbut has just arrived. Then I passed by his cubicle with my bag.
Budbut: Whoa, wait a minute. Where are you going?
Me: Going home.
Budbut: This is not right!
Me: Hahaha. Naaah, I'm going to an event...
Budbut: Ohhh.
Me: ...And then I'll go home.
Budbut: -_-

#2. I'll Come To The Office First
Situation: I was supposed to attend an event the next day at 4 p.m.
BEE: Don't forget to finish all your work for tomorrow, because you'll be outside of the office the whole day.
Me: The event starts at 4 p.m. I'll come to office first *showing him the invitation*
BEE: Oh.
Me: You don't seem happy to learn that.
BEE: I should have said 'darn', shouldn't I? Hahaha.

#3. Working More Than 8-Hour Is Not Good For Your Health
Situation: BEE works from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. (sometimes even longer), sometimes works on Saturdays and never takes leave.
Me: Would you like to read this article? *showing him an article in Forbes on "Why Working More Than 8 Hours A Day Can Kill You"* (Read the online version here)
BEE: Oh thanks, I'll have a look.
Me: I'll try to find another one on "Why 14-Day of Holiday Is Good For You"
BEE: -_-

No comments:

Post a Comment