Monday, August 16, 2010

Let's Do Good Things For Indonesia

Found here

Hi, good people out there! Indonesia will celebrate its 65th independence anniversary tomorrow. How do you celebrate it? (If you're an Indonesian, that is)

My family (read: M&D and I) will hoist the Red and White flag and then spend the day just like any other day. We don't celebrate any kind of anniversary or birthday, because we're a bunch of practical people who show our affection in any given day regardless of the date.

Usually neighborhood units hold competitions, such as panjat pinang (betel pole climbing), makan kerupuk (cracker eating contest), balap karung (sack race) and bawa gundu (marble-on-spoon race). While the competitions are fun to watch, sometimes I think there are other important things we can do during that day.

For example, we can clean the neighborhood together and teach the residents about recycling their waste. Most neighborhoods here do need some motivational urge to start cleaning up. I'm sure they are willing to clean up. They just don't know where to start and how.

M&D and I are too tired to preach the importance of clean environment, so we try to show our neighbors that we care about environment by planting trees in our yard and keep our litters out of other people's way. I guess this is the thing I can do for working in a paper-consuming company:)

My colleague Ika and her husband hold a weekly class for underprivileged children around her home. They teach the children any subjects, from English to Math to origami-making to yoga. Sometimes they take the children to visit museum and parks. Oh, how I really want to do this! Soon, I hope, soon.

I still have many ideas in my head. But for the time being, I write good things about Indonesia and post them here, in my blogs. People can point so many ugly things about Indonesia, but the country also has potentials to grow. So let's just focus on the good simple things we can do and apply them in our daily lives.

Happy Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment