Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Happy Ramadan!

Hello sweeties, how are you doing today? It's the last day of Sya'ban, the last day before the fasting month of Ramadan commences. I'm excited to face this year's fasting month, especially the last 10 days and the Idul Fitri day.

And before we start Ramadan, I want to share some food pictures I took during my trip to  Kei Islands and Ambon Island, Maluku province:). Since Maluku province consists of a chain of islands, the food are mostly seafood, of course. 

Fried prawn

Calamary cooked with soy sauce

Tom Yam Soup. Yum!

Nasi Kuning with Cakalang fish. Maluku cuisines do resemble Java cuisines in some ways.

These are enbal, made from a cassava family. Unlike cassava, the tuber of enbal is poisonous. So Kei people grated the tubers and sieved it to kick out the poison. It can last for one month. It is so hard I believe it can be used to kill someone. You have to dip it into hot water, coffee, tea, milk before eating them, or you'll break your teeth.

Grilled fish. We had this kind of dish almost everyday. On the plane to Jakarta, when the stewardess asked whether we wanted rice with fish or rice with chicken, all of us said,"rice with chicken, please." I think we had eaten all fishes we needed for the rest of our lives there:P

We had a chance to spend a half day in Ambon island. So we went around the city and tried coffee house Walang Kopi Sibu-sibu. I don't drink coffee, but other people in the group needed their caffeine dose, so we went there.


The coffee house put on the wall the photos of famous people who has Maluku blood. Wow, I didn't know that Vengaboys members are from Maluku! On the other side of the walls, there are photos of the Netherlands soccer players, such as Van Bronckhorst and Heitinga.

Lopis Pulut. Basically it's made from sticky rice. Hmm, we also have this in Java island.

Other snacks, but I don't know their names. The square-shaped cakes on the top is sagu. You have to dip them on hot water, coffee, tea or milk before eating them. Otherwise, you'll break your teeth. (Just like enbal)

Kopi Roribang. Ambon coffee with pieces of kenari (local almond nut) on the surface.

Kopi Roribang is for Olya, the nice guy who took us around Kei and Ambon.

This is Reza from jalan-jalan magazine

And this is Mbak Eny from Kompas.

We went out of the coffee shop and a police officer caught us taking photograph. He wanted to be in the photograph too. Well, we're too afraid to refuse. LOL. It's just kidding!

Hope you like what you see. Happy Ramadan, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment