Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Losing Memories

My 500GB portable hard disk decided to die on Monday morning. When I plugged it to the laptop, it made ticking sound like a grandfather's clock. The IT person in the office said I'd better buy a new one because it's almost impossible to repair it. 

The stupidest thing was I told the IT guy to format the disk without backing up the files because I thought I already had the same files in the laptop at home. But when I checked the laptop again...guess what, I had deleted many files there because I thought  the portable had disk would do the job.

The portable hard disk is just a thing, and if you know me in real life, I wouldn't care less of a thing, especially an electronic gadget. What makes me grief is the fact that the portable hard disk held the photos of my travel, and I just lost them. 

I had the portable hard disk since 2010, but I have stored photos of my travels from the previous years. Now that I'm inventorying all the travels and photos, I realize how much photos (and life experiences) I've accumulated between 2004 and 2014.

2004 : Shanghai, China
2006 : Mt. Gede, Indonesia
2008 : Singapore
2009 : Beijing, China 
2010 : Mt. Beuticanar, Kei Island, Ujung Genteng, Bali-Lombok, Ende, Indonesia; Seoul, South Korea;  
2011 : Rome, Italy; Hanoi, Vietnam; Belitong, Mt. Krakatau, Indonesia
2012 : Istanbul, Turkey; Kyiv-Lviv-Odesa, Ukraine; Ujung Kulon, Karimun Jawa, Bromo-Pekalen-Sempu, Indonesia
2013 : Kuala Lumpur-Penang, Malaysia; Hat Yai-Koh Tao-Bangkok, Thailand; Siem Reap, Cambodia; Pahawang, Komodo-Trans Flores, Palangkaraya, Cirebon, Gunung Kidul, Indonesia
2014 : Takabonerate, Madura, Indonesia

I can still get the travel photos in Indonesia, for I usually go with my travel buddies (Aneen, Windy Dee, Cousin Dina). But photos of my travel abroad would need extra effort and time, and it is likely that I would never fully recover them.

Now, would you excuse me for I want to mourn for a while...

No comments:

Post a Comment