Thursday, February 10, 2011

Things I Love: #4. Higher Grounds

Jakarta is pretty much flat. When you walk along the streets of Jakarta, all you're ever going to see is the traffic jams, the lack of green space and you'll end up hating it. I know that kind of feeling, because as a person who was born, grew up and now work in the capital, I still need to getaway from Jakarta's daily grind. But if you can't leave the city, all you need to do is  climb a few floors, put yourself in a higher ground and see Jakarta from a different perspective. And perhaps you'll fall in love again with the city.

Below are some photos of Jakarta I took during my assignment or my free time. Enjoy! 

Morning has broken. Photographed from the eighth floor of BNI training division building in Slipi, West Jakarta 

Gelora Bung Karno stadium, photographed from the 18th floor of the National Education Ministry

My cousine Dina's office is located on the 46th floor of Menara BCA on Jl. MH Thamrin. When I visited her office a few years ago, I snapped some photos. Here they are.

Tangent: The views from the 46th floor are great, but if an earthquake happens (not frequent, but still, it happened), having a landed office seems like a great idea.

View to Hotel Indonesia traffic circle and Jl. MH Thamrin

View to Jl. Imam Bonjol (CMIIW, I think that's Deutche Bank building on the left)

I forget which view this is. The green river looks like the one next to Plaza Indonesia. CMIIW.

Although it's not much, I'm so happy to see that there are trees in the city! They look like a spider's web.

5 comments:

  1. How many people live in Jakarta? I think that you told me the figure, but I don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Santiago, a 2010 census stated that Jakarta had more than 9 million people and the area is around 660 sq km. Many people living in Jakarta's greater areas (including me) come to work in Jakarta, so it's more crowded on weekdays. For me, the best days to enjoy Jakarta is during Islamic holidays (Idul Fitri) and the Car Free Day that falls on the last Sunday every month.
    How about Madrid? Kisses for Nico:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tifa, in Madrid city around three million people, in Madrid county, more than six million people. The public transport is good, over all the subway.
    Nico is growing, he is more than 60 centimetres tall, or long, je je je
    We keep in touch. Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tifa, nice pics you've got here. I especially like the Gelora Bung Karno stadium photo; never knew it'd look good from up there. You know how ugly it is from the ground :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wida, thanks, it still looks gloomy because I took the picture on a cloudy day. Yes, a change of perspective really gives you a new view, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete