This July marks me being three months without permanent job, and two months as a freelancer. How have I fared? Well, so far it's been okay. It's been challenging to explain to people on what I do, especially to my parents because most of my cousins and friends have permanent jobs. Sometimes I feel like I'm a part of the millennials :P
M&D still have yet to understand the idea of a freelance, so most days they would yell at the top of their lungs to ask what would I have for lunch, or drill the walls, or turn on the vacuum cleaner, as if I am not working. Sometimes they would enter my bedroom and ask trivial questions when I am in the middle of deadlines. Perhaps this is what parenting feels like.
Here is a table on what I think about permanent job and freelance job. Feel free to add in the comment.
Have a magnificent Monday, people!
M&D still have yet to understand the idea of a freelance, so most days they would yell at the top of their lungs to ask what would I have for lunch, or drill the walls, or turn on the vacuum cleaner, as if I am not working. Sometimes they would enter my bedroom and ask trivial questions when I am in the middle of deadlines. Perhaps this is what parenting feels like.
Here is a table on what I think about permanent job and freelance job. Feel free to add in the comment.
Permanent Job
|
Freelance Job
|
You have
a number of paid leaves in a year, with notice of leave.
|
You can
take a leave anytime, with notice of leave. However, no work means no pay.
|
Usually
you get a desk and a desktop/laptop/other work device
|
You work
with your own laptop from home/other places that have desks+WiFi.
|
Usually
you get allowances for health, eyeglasses, dental treatment
|
No
allowances. You should be able to take care of your health.
|
Work hour
is usually between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. You should catch public transportation
on time.
|
Depending
on the deadline, you can work on the time schedule that you like. Discipline
is still the key.
|
Weekend
and national holiday are really days off
|
Sometimes
you still have to work on weekend and national holiday
|
You need
to look neat as you represent your organization
|
You can
work in pajamas, face masker and no pants
|
You have
a supervisor, whom you should report to, and possibly office politics
|
The
client is the boss. Usually no office politics.
|
You have
a job until you reach retirement age. You have a comfort zone.
|
When a
job is done, it’s done. You find another, develop skills, get experiences.
|
You have
colleagues, lunch time, social events
|
You can
find freelancer communities that share similar interest with your line of work.
|
Have a magnificent Monday, people!
No comments:
Post a Comment