Monday, July 31, 2017

Porridge, To Stir Or Not To Stir

Rumor has it that there are two schools of thought on porridge eating style: (1) those who stir, and (2) those who don't. However, when eating these bowls of porridge, I believe you should stir the porridge regardless which school of thought you are following. 

Why should you stir the porridge? Because there is a raw egg that is cracked open and hid underneath the layer of hot piping porridge. Stirring the porridge will speed up the egg getting cooked up. The following porridge stalls are located in Tebet.

Bubur Ayam Sukabumi
Location: Jl. Tebet Raya

This eatery is located on Jl. Tebet Raya, not really sure if it has connection with the legendary Bubur Ayam Sukabumi on West Tebet (which I would also tell about after this eatery). This one was established in 1989, younger then the next one. I found this as I walked to office, and it's already opened, so I thought, why not.

I ordered Bubur Ayam Spesial, which was priced at Rp 20.000 and accompanied by a bowl of kerupuk. I like that it has a generous sprinkle of tongcai (salted radish), which I can taste on each spoonful of porridge. But not really sure about that kerupuk.

Other dishes on the menu are somay and batagor and some other quick bites, which is a bit pricey, in my opinion. I guess the eatery's strategic location plays a role in it. But I wouldn't mind coming here again if I was in a rush for a bowl of porridge.





Bubur Ayam Sukabumi 1
Location: Jl. Tebet Barat Dalam II No. 2

This eatery has started selling porridge since 1988, and the fact that it still exists today means it has something unique that makes people keep coming. Nowadays, it sells various dish in the menu, from porridge to fried rice to sauteed shrimps. And the best thing is, it opens 24 hours!

If you need to go to this place quickly, you can find it on the online motorcycle-taxi application (I use Go-Jek) as 'Bubur Ayam Sukabumi 1' on West Tebet. I did try walking while reading the map, but then I glanced at my watch and saw that I needed to get back to office in a short notice. So, Go-Jek to the rescue.  

I think the secret of this eatery's success lies inside the special porridge. If you order 'Bubur Ayam Spesial', it will come with a raw egg. The price of this kind of porridge is lower than the other two. Only Rp 15.000 per portion. It doesn't come with a bowl of kerupuk, so it could be the reason of lower price, but it is already delicious without. I have no complain on this dish.



I didn't take photos of this place because I was in a rush to go to office. Some photos and a longer food review is available here, in Bahasa though.

This kind of porridge is best enjoyed when you're not feeling well. However, I could have this every day of my life, if I must. Oh, and I'm with those who stir, if you'd like to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment