Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Gulai Pakis, or Fern Curry

A fistful of ferns

Ferns are beautiful, aren't they? They are also delicious. Gulai pakis (curry fern) is a common dish in West Sumatra and it is usually served with ketupat (rice in rhombus-shaped coconut leaves). I often eat them for my after-Sunday-jogging meal. In my defense, I have burnt enough calorie, so I can have them for breakfast :).

I saw them on kecipir.com a few weeks ago, but was doubtful in placing a purchase. After several weeks had passed and they were still available in the market, I decided to give it a go. This must be destiny.

The edible parts are those that give a clear crack sound and easily broken down with hands. If the stalk is too old, it is difficult to break with hands, so just take out the leaves and discard the stalks. It took me quite some time to cut and clean them because...ferns are so cute!

Fiddlehead ferns, why are you so cute?

Once they are cut and clean (just soak them in a bowl of water and a pinch of salt, my usual procedure), it's pretty easy to cook these greens. M bought ready made curry paste and coconut milk in the market to speed things up. But of course, you can always make them from scratch. 

How we cook it:

(1) Cook the curry paste, set aside
(2) Cook the coconut milk, set aside
(3) Cook half part of coconut milk with the curry paste, stir slowly to avoid the coconut milk from breaking out. Then put in the ferns.
(4) When the ferns are tender enough, put in the rest of the coconut milk
(5) Add salt accordingly, and it's ready.


Gulai pakis at your service, Ma'am

You can also add shrimp/fish/meat or tempe or chili into the coconut milk to add more flavor. M and I decided to just go basic because that's how we prefer it. 

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment