Monday, May 27, 2013

TransJakarta Now Has Electronic Ticketing System


Hello everybody, I'm back...not from a holiday, not from an assignment in a faraway land, but from a pit that was writer's block. Hahaha. I wish I could say that it's the work load that kept me away last week (which is also true), but work has never kept me away from blogging so yeah, it's one of those writer's block moments.
 
Now that I'm back, how are you? How is life? Have you gotten your e-money card for TransJakarta? I have gotten not only one card, but two :).

Jakarta busway company TransJakarta has rolled a campaign to introduce its electronic ticketing system, and boy, this is a perfect time to own all electronic money cards at no cost. I now own BCA Flazz card and BNI Prepaid card.

As a BCA customer, I've been wanting to own a BCA Flazz card, which can be used to shop at various merchants. Unfortunately, we used to have to pay Rp 25,000 to get it. While the amount of money is quite affordable, I find it ridiculous to pay for a service that the bank should provide for free. (Do I hear a 'yeah' from you guys?)

Back to TransJakarta, which partners with BCA, BNI, BRI, Bank Mandiri and Bank DKI to support the new ticketing system. Passengers can own one of the cards simply by paying Rp 50,000, which also contain that amount of money, meaning the card is free! Yay!

I love the electronic payment system as it will cut down the paper trash volume from busway stations (the previous ticket system includes paper tickets that most passengers toss away once they pass the barrier). Don't you feel sorry for the paper tickets? A friend kept the tickets and re-purposed them as small notebooks. I've been keeping those tickets to doodle on them. (Please tell me I'm not the only one?)

It will take some time to get used to the new ticket (we need to place the card on the machine and wait for about 30 seconds, which is quite a long time when you're in a rush), but I'm optimistic that more people will join the band.

To add the credit, cardholders can top up in ATMs or certain busway stations that have the machine. This means that we don't have to be a customer at the card issuer bank. Double yay!

And if TransJakarta decided to stop using the electronic ticket like Jakarta railway company PT  KRL did, I could still use the card for other purposes. But I do hope the bus company continues with the card.

No comments:

Post a Comment