Thursday, January 3, 2013

My Handwriting In Retrospect

[Note from the editor: Having just celebrated my birthday several days ago, there might be some posts on existential crisis and contemplation. Bear with me, please. Or just come back next week:).]

I passed the university's final assignment 10 years ago today. Then the graduation ceremony took place several months later. It never dawned on me that I would work in the media, let alone be a journalist. But here I am today, 10 years later and still a journalist-in-the-making, while most of my uni friends already made a name as architects.

Looking back to the years, it was a good decision to work in journalism. I learn new things every day, meet and interview people, all kinds of people (one day I interviewed then Foreign Ministry spokesperson Marty Natalegawa, the other day it could be a goat vendor in Tanah Abang market) and shed my shyness. 

In the past, I would need some time to warm up to people I just met, but now, I can strike up a conversation with just anyone. I've grown so much in the last decade and it has been a good change. 

However, the ugly thing that journalism brings upon me is the awful scribbling. During university time, I had a good (not great, but good enough) handwriting. Now, my notebook only has scribbles. Allow me to present Exhibit A and Exhibit B.

Exhibit A: my handwriting for the final assignment in 2003.



Exhibit B: my handwriting in 2013. Still readable, but not as good as it was.

To be honest, I kinda miss doing the page layout and writing beautiful letters. So when I had the New Year holiday, I revisited my handwriting skill. I still got it! :)


P.S. What kind of change did you undergo in the last 10 years? Was it a good one?

No comments:

Post a Comment