Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Makassar Cuisines

After posting the lunch in Sindbad that was several months ago, today I'd like to bring you guys four years back, when I went to Makassar, South Sulawesi in 2008. From 1971 to 1999, the city was named Ujung Pandang, after a Dutch fort there. 

To tell you the truth, I prefer Ujung Pandang to Makassar because Makassar is actually the name of an ethnic group there. Besides Makassar, other ethnic groups inhabiting the city are Bugis, Toraja, Buton, Mandar, Javanese and Chinese. It's like naming Jakarta with Betawi. Hmm.

I went to Makassar to attend a three-day seminar about British biogeographer Alfred Russel Wallace who sent Charles Darwin a letter from Ternate. The letter, which contained Wallace's theory, inspired Darwin on the natural selection theory.

Due to the seminar's packed schedule, I could only explore the city at night. Kak Ajra, my office's Makassar-based contributor, was more than happy to take me around for dinner. Most pictures I took were obscure as I only had a pocket digital camera, which was difficult to take photos in low light condition. But I assure you, these were delicious! I should come back again to Makassar, this time with my DSLR to do justice to these foods :).


Coto Makassar

Kappurung is a soup from Luwu regency. It is made from sagu, eggplant, corn, spinach and banana flowers.

Lawaa, made from banana flower and grated coconut

The highlight of Makassar cuisines: Sop Konro (rib soup) and Konro Bakar (grilled rib)

The etiquette  for eating konro is with hands!

Sulawesi is located on the east side of the Wallace line (named after British biogeographer Alfred Russel Wallace), a transitional zone between Asia and Australia. Therefore the flora and fauna there is a mix between the two continents. It is believed that Sulawesi was formed by the collision of terranes from Asian Plates (forming the west and southwest), Australian Plates (forming southeast and Banggai) and the island arcs in the Pacific.

Makassar's coastal area seen from above

With Kak Ajra and National Geographic's photographer Tim Laman. I met Laman again last year as his wife Cheryl Knott presented her latest study on orangutans at Eijkman Institute.

No comments:

Post a Comment