Thursday, September 27, 2012

Currently Obsessing These Waterproof Cameras

My Fuji MPix compact camera decided to die when I went to Lviv last June. I don't know what's wrong. I've changed the battery but it just refused to go on. I had it since 2006 and despite the fact that it was too bulky and too old-fashioned for a compact camera, I still love it dearly.

I've dropped it to the repair shop last Monday. The repair guy texted me on Tuesday, saying that they couldn't repair it because...they no longer had the spareparts. What the #3!$?

RIP my dear Fuji MPix. It's been a wonderful six years...

Anyway, now that I have a new hobby of going underwater, I think I should buy a waterproof camera. The camera housing for diving purposes is too expensive. So I'm thinking to have a waterproof camera just for snorkeling events. Below are my current sources of constant headache, sleepless nights and wishful thinking.

1. Pentax Optio WG-2 

 Photo taken from here. You can also read its features there.

This will go in accordance with my red Pentax K-x DSLR camera. They'd be like brothers (or sisters). Since I called my red K-x Merah, I'd have no problem to find a name for this cutie (Delima!). Pentax also released this camera type with GPS, but the one with GPS is not available in red. Alas, woe is me. Price: Rp 3,190,000 with 4GB memory card in Oktagon and JPC Kemang

2. Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3/FT3

Photo found here

The picture is of an orange Panasonic Lumix. But it's also available in red too. In terms of specs it ranks above Optio WG-2, which means more numbers on the price tag. I've never used a Panasonic camera, although I was familiar with the voice recorder (which lasted for around 5 years, quite durable). 

I checked Oktagon and they no longer have this type. They have a newer version (Panasonic DMC TS-4/FT4, which is priced at Rp 3,950,000, with 4 GB memory card and pouch). Meanwhile, JPC Kemang offers it for Rp 3,965,000 with 4 GB memory card and pouch. Does it mean the FT3 is cheaper now? *optimism brews*

3.  Olympus Tough TG-810


 

The reviews is positive but never tried an Olympus before, so a little bit doubt. Oktagon has the latest version of TG 820 at Rp 3,380,000 plus 8 GB memory card, while JPC Kemang also offers TG 820 at Rp 3,450,000 plus 8 GB memory card. The TG 820 is also available in red! Be still my heart. 

4. Nikon Coolpix AW100

Taken from here

I tried one of the Coolpix series. I know the quality of Nikon. But not really sure about this waterproof one. Anyone ever try this camera? So far it's the lowest priced in this group. Price: Rp 2,640,000 in Oktagon and JPC Kemang


5. Canon Powershot D20

Photo source

I've also tried Canon. But again, doubting the underwater version. More confusions. So help me God. Price: Rp 3,745,000 in Oktagon and JPC Kemang

For now, let's save the money first. 

P.S. Here's the link to Oktagon and JPC Kemang

2 comments:

  1. kasih tau harganya dooong, aku jg pgn beli kamera..
    tertarik waterproof bukan untuk snorkeling-an, tapi karena aku grasak-grusuk, untuk jaga2 gak kecemplung, wkwkwkwkwk

    ReplyDelete
  2. nah itu dia yg bikin aku gak bisa tidur, ai. harganya oh harganya. nanti postingannya aku update deh. biar kita bisa menggalau bersama :)

    ReplyDelete