Saturday, December 31, 2011

Good Bye 2011! Welcome 2012!

Me and the Ruins of ancient Rome in February 2011.  I looked very comfortable in the photo despite the fact that it was 10 degree Celsius and I barely felt my nose.

How was your year, my darlings? I hope 2011 gave you the good things. But even if it didn't, worry not, my dear friends, for the good and the bad can teach you to appreciate life in every way.

While this year opened with a good start, somehow many things in this year did not run smoothly for me. But instead of complaining about those bad things, I'd like to thank Lord for the good things this year.

Those things are:
-- Getting my one-star diving license. I plan to take the two-star license in 2012. Wish me luck! 
-- Getting the 3-day fellowship to cover IFAD Governing Council in Rome, Italy. Yep, you read me right, only three days. Nevertheless, those were such happy days, for I got the chance to see with my own eyes Roman ancient architecture that are featured in Francis DK Ching's book :)
-- Getting the 5-day fellowship on climate change reporting in Hanoi, Vietnam. It was a really short visit, but I really learned a lot. Who would have known that climate change can be such an interesting topic?
-- Writing about Citarum River and its complex problems, from the upstream to downstream areas. It basically gave me a chance to put what I received in Hanoi into practice. I was so happy to get the chance to write the stories!
-- Taking a trip to Mount Krakatau, or Mount Anak Krakatau to be precise. I've always loved nature, and seeing this legendary volcano is in my to-do list :)
-- Taking a vacation to Belitung Island with my friend Aneen.     
-- D fell ill in June, but then doctor declared him fit this December. Alhamdulillah!

This year, I learn patience and perseverance and a realization that sometimes we measure things by how it pleases us and contributes to our career and professional life. Actually taking a slow pace (or stop) gives us a moment to reflect and plan for the future. 

Also, a few days ago I re-read my Japanese comics on photography and found a character saying: "Photography is a subject that teaches people to see the beauty in the simple things." I could not agree more. I may not be a photographer, but I strive to see beauty in simple (or even ugly) things.
Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Eek! I am so excited about 2012! : ) I hope you had a truly wonderful new years!

    x
    Lost in the Haze: Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete