Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Friendly Neighborhood Kitchen At Umaku Sushi Resto

When I was doing works for the Sunday desk, I happened to stumble upon Umaku, a nice sushi resto in Cibubur, East Jakarta. For me, Cibubur is quite far, so I forget about frequenting this resto. Recently, I met the owner again through Twitter and found that the sushi resto now opens two branches in Tebet and Duren Tiga. Yay!

I went to the Tebet branch, which was located on Jl. Tebet Raya No. 41. How to get there: first, go to Tebet train station. Next to the station, you'll find a small police station and a road, walk that road until you meet an intersection and another police station. Take the right turn, and you'll find Umaku on your left. Tada! I was very surprised to find Kopitiam Oey stands next to Umaku. Wow. It was painful to choose between the two restaurants, but I came for sushi, and therefore, headed straight to Umaku.

See those trees on the left? Behind those trees is the entrance to Umaku sushi resto

Umaku's concept is a family's kitchen, or neighborhood kitchen. Its interior is furnished with paper lantern and Japanese newspaper as the wallpaper and Japanese songs to give the Japanese ambiance. The restaurant opens from Tuesday to Sunday, starting from noon to 3 p.m. for lunch. Then it opens again from 5 p.m to 10 p.m. for dinner. It closes on Mondays.

The interior

I did not know that. I came in five minutes before 3 p.m. So after the waiters delivered my order, they left the premise and turned the sign from "Yes, We're Open" to "Sorry, We're Close." Err, should I go? I had Cawan Mushi (custard dish), Tobiko Sushi (flying fish egg sushi) and Volcano Fusion Sushi Roll (made from crab stick and salmon) right in front of me, and there was no way I could finish those pronto. Anyway, those three menus were delicious.

I like the rough sketch on the ceramic glass, so I make it as the background:). This is Cawan Mushi

Tobiko sushi

Volcano Fusion Sushi Roll

"Don't worry, you can stay," the kind chef said.

Tangent: During the break, the Japanese music was changed into Islamic songs. Hahaha. 

Since I had the permit to stay, I sheepishly asked if I could order again. The chef said yes, so I ordered Toro Sushi (fatty tuna), which the Naked Traveler mentioned as the best sushi ever and Unakyu Temaki (cone-shaped rice roll with eel). The fatty tuna came with Salmon Aburi, which is fired with mayonnaise.

Toro Sushi (the red ones) and Salmon Aburi (on the right)

Unakyu temaki

"The salmon is a bonus," the chef said. 

As you can see from the pictures, the sushi size is generous. The taste? Yum! The salmon was soooo delicious and the fatty tuna did not disappoint. In a comical expression, it was like flying into the sushi heaven.

The chef gave another bonus, a small glass of jelly. Wow, he really knows how to make customers happy. Then I topped it off with Ogura ice cream. Have I frightened you guys with my appetite? :)

The sweet bonus

Ogura ice cream

I'd definitely come again to Umaku, and next time, I'll bring my sushi-eating friends.

Do you like sushi? Do you have any favorite sushi resto?  

2 comments:

  1. Tifa, pagi2 bikin air liur meleh.... Doh, jadi laper.....**siap2 nyari nasi uduk dulu aaaaaaah, hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, ai suka sushi juga? kapan2 ke sini bareng yuk :)

    ReplyDelete