Thursday, June 9, 2011

Acronyms

Hello, friends! So sorry for the quietness here. It's been quite busy since M and I found out that D had pneumothorax. Anyway, that is another story and I don't want to bother all of you with the details. This month, to be precise June 22, will see the 484th anniversary of Jakarta. So I'm thinking to do some posts about it.
 
In the meantime, let's talk about acronyms. There's something about acronyms that Jakartans, or maybe in this case Indonesians, fall for. For quick proof, we call the current president by his initials. Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono? That's too long. SBY is enough. I'm not sure why but perhaps it was influenced by the military during Indonesia's first few years of independence and also, because our second president was a military man.

I can find many acronyms during the ways to office. Rusun (Rumah Susun, low cost housing). HI (Hotel Indonesia). Polda (Kepolisian Daerah, City Police). Planggi (Plaza Semanggi, a shopping mall). Monas (Monumen Nasional, National Monument). KPK (Komisi Pemberantasan Korupsi, Corruption Eradication Commission). DPR (Dewan Perwakilan Rakyat, House of Representatives). But the funniest event took place when I asked an ojek (a kind of motorcycle-taxi) driver to take me to Bappeda ( (insert region here) Development Planning Agency).

Me: "Bang (brother), I want to go to Bappeda Depok. How much does it cost?"
Ojek driver (OD):  "Bank Pembangunan Daerah (a local bank)? Just hop on, it is near."
Me: "Errr, no, that is BPD. I want to go to Bappeda."
OD: "Bappeda is Pemda (local administrative), right?"
Me: "No. Pemda stands for Pemerintah Daerah. I'm talking about Bappeda, Bang."
OD: "Oh, I see. It's the office that takes care of the land certificates, isn't it?"
Me: "That would be Badan Pertanahan Nasional (BPN, National Land Agency). Mine is Bappeda." (starting to feel frustrated)
OD: "So, is Bappeda meant Dinas Pendapatan Daerah (City Revenue Agency)?"
Me: "No, that's Dispenda." (on the verge to strangle the man. ack!)

I finally persuaded him to just take me and asked so many other people during the way to the agency's office. And yes, I did find the office:).

Do you ever have troubles with acronyms? There should a national movement to ban them:P.

No comments:

Post a Comment